- Ooops! Look out for creatures! - Chip was hit by a monster.
- Ooops! Don't step in the fire without fire boots! - Chip stepped on fire without fire boots, except when finding the fire on the lower layer of the grid under a tile other than a block.
- Ooops! Chip can't swim without flippers! - Chip stepped on water without flippers, except when finding the water on the lower layer of the grid under a tile other than a block.
- Ooops! Watch out for moving blocks! - a block (or an ice block) landed on Chip, from sliding on ice, force floors, through a teleport, or landing on Chip after being cloned from a clone block.
- Ooops! Don't touch the bombs! - Chip ran into a bomb, again unless he found it on the lower layer of the grid under a tile other than a block.
- Ooops! Out of time! - Usually the rarest of the six, this results when the time limit expires.
In occurrences of the Transparency Glitch, a random death message may be shown as part of the result caused by the crash.
Chip's status is always kept by Chip's Challenge on coordinate [22, 32], which will allow the player to reset the status and avoid being killed by fatal obstacles.
Tile World 2 has 11 different death messages. They are chosen randomly and depend only on whether the player ran out of time:
- Messages that appear only when the player runs out of time:
- "Well, that was an untimely demise."
- "You do know there's a time limit on this level, right?"
- "Look, we don't have all the time in the world!"
- "Alert: The system has determined that you are either moving or thinking too slowly."
- Messages that appear only when the player dies by means other than running out of time:
- "Whoops... Let's try again."
- "Why don't ya watch where you're going?"
- "Getting killed can be injurious to Chip's health!"
- "Uh-oh: Chip performed a fatal operation and was terminated."
- "Hey, are you doing that on purpose?"
- "Great, now look what you did!"
- Messages that can appear regardless of cause of death:
- "The idea here is to win the level, not lose it!"
As of Tile World 2.1, messages are stored in a separate, modifiable plaintext file called messages.txt, which is located in the res folder, allowing users to create their own death messages.
Chip's Challenge 2
Chip's Challenge 2, as well as the steam re-release of the original game, have two death messages, which cannot be edited:
- OUT OF TIME (when the player runs out of time)
- OOPS (all other deaths)
- The death messages have entered into Chip's Challenge folklore as catchphrases, which have been known to recall memories of Chip's Challenge in even the most infrequent players. The most well-known ones are generally Look out for creatures and Chip can't swim without flippers.